Give us a call today!

610 444 6421

Posted by

indoor air qualityThe majority of modern humans spend an inordinate amount of time indoors. As such, we should all be concerned with the quality of the air we’re breathing. Children and the elderly are especially susceptible to adverse reactions to pollutants in air. A major percentage of harmful dangers in our air is due to living organisms, also known as mold and bacteria. Contact with these substances can cause sore eyes, burning in the nose/throat and headaches, as well as more severe effects such as respiratory illness, heart disease, cancer or other long term conditions.

How / Why Would Mold Be In My Home?


Molds are part of the natural environment and can begin reproducing quite easily. All it takes is for some spores to land on a wet surface and it will begin replicating. Mold can enter through many different passages such as your doorways, vents, windows and central air systems. Mold can even be tracked in from outside when it attaches itself to clothing, bags, or even pets. The mold tends to grow and thrive in places with an abundance of moisture such as leaky roofs and windows, or where there may have been some flooding.

How Serious Of A Problem Is The Mold Potentially?


Some mold is totally harmless – like *cosmetic* black mold or Ophistomoid fungi. These harmless black molds are often found on framing lumber and sometimes plywood. However, Stachybotrys Atra is a toxic mold and notorious mycotoxin producer. Some symptoms of exposure to toxic black mold include dermatitis, sinusitis, conjunctivitis. Aggravation of asthma and there has been evidence linking it with pulmonary hemosiderosis which causes bleeding in the lungs of infants less than 6 months old. This mold tends to grow on soaked wood, wall panels, cotton, cardboard and stacks of newspapers. Aspergillus is another mold that is very harmful, known to cause disease in humans and animals. Aspergillus is commonly found in house dust or areas of water damage / extreme dampness. Whether you have mold that is relatively harmless or a serious health concern, it all does one thing which is lead to more mold breeding so your situation can always get worse. It’s best to handle any signs of mold as soon as you uncover them.

What To Do When Mold Is Uncovered


The key to mold control is having control over moisture and humidity levels within your home. There’s no practical way to eliminate all mold spores, so the way to control it is to control moisture. Upon finding a mold issue, you must immediately eliminate the source of moisture. If there’s a leak or flooding, the first step is to resolve those issues. Next, reduce indoor humidity so that it rests at a level between 30-60%. Ways you can reduce the humidity are venting bathrooms, using air conditioning systems / de-humidifiers, and using exhaust fans whenever cooking, dishwashing and cleaning.

Hiring A PRO to Assess Your Mold Issue


You can hire a professional if you’re concerned about properly taking care of the mold. Besides properly identifying the type of mold and extent of infestation, a PRO can offer you installations of air-purifiers, dehumidifiers and more. If you are having a mold issue and seek assistance – contact RDHVAC now!

Leave a comment


*